Article Number: DRJVMAS8610532497
DOI: https://doi.org/10.26765/DRJVMAS8610532497
ISSN: 2734-2166

Vol. 7(2), Pp. 24-29, October 2022

Copyright © 2022

Author(s) retain the copyright of this article

This article is published under the terms of the

Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0.

Full-Text (PDF)


Original Research Article

Performance and Feed Costs for Growing Uda Sheep Fed Fore-Stomach-digesta (FSD) Ensiled with Urea and Rice Milling Waste (RMW)

Kwaido, A.A.*

Mikailu, M. M.


Abstract

Twenty male Uda lambs were used. The experimental diets were designed in such a way that ensiled materials made up 25% of the diet, while other feed ingredients made up the remaining 75%. Treatment A is 100% FSD, treatment B is 75% FSD and 25% RMW, treatment C is 50% FSD and 50% RMW, and treatment D is 50% FSD and 50% RMW but not ensiled.  Five animals were assigned as replications to four experimental diets as treatments. The results revealed no significant differences (P<0.05) between treatment means in terms of body weight gain, average daily gain, and cost of feed/Kg live weight. The DM contents of the experimental diets were similar, ranging from 93.00% to 91.86%. The crude protein content ranged from 16.53% in treatment A to 16.53% in treatment D. Treatment D had the highest crude fibre content (33.00%), followed by treatment B (31.00%), and treatments A (30.00%) and C (30.00%) had the lowest. The current diets supported the average daily gain (ADG) and body weight gain (BWG) of lambs in the current study, but were higher in treatment C, which included 50% FSD and 50% RMW plus urea, despite no significant differences in treatment means. Treatment C had the highest crude protein CP and the lowest crude fibre CF compared to the other treatments, resulting in better ADG and BWG.

Full-Text (PDF)


Keywords: Body Weight Gain; Experimental diet; Uda lamb; ruminant


 Received: September 2, 2022  Accepted: October 19, 2022  Published: October 26, 2022


Copyright © 2022 Direct Research Journal of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science